Friday, May 04, 2007

Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)

This morning I received an email from my hubby forwarding me a news about a girl in Singapore who died after she sat 8 hours non stop in front of her laptop. Deep vein thrombosis is suspected to be the cause of her death but it's not sure yet. You can read the story here.

That story really got me to think and pay attention (again) to deep vein thrombosis.
Before this, I have read about this deep vein thrombosis many years ago from an in-flight magazine. Passengers were advised to walk up down the aisle or do some light exercises during a long-distance flight so that they would not get DVT.

What is deep vein thrombosis and how can it kill you?

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_vein_thrombosis):
Deep vein thrombosis is a formation blood clot in a deep vein commonly affects your thigh and calf. Occasionally, it can affect your arm too.

The blood clot forms in deep vein because the blood flow in the vein is slow or even stops. When clot blocks the blood flow in the vein, the blood will build up below the site. It causes pain and swelling in the affected leg.
If the clot breaks free and travels through the veins to your lungs, it is called a pulmonary embolism (PE).
When PE happens, you will feel short of breath and your chest is pain. If your lung is damaged, you can be killed within hours.

This is why it is extremely important to take a break, take a walk, do some light exercises, especially leg exercises, and have some water to refresh your body, when you have to sit for a long period of time.
Even a machine needs a break and so does your body. Be more sensitive to your own body and listen to its signals. No point pushing your self too hard to achieve your goal but at the end, you can't be there to enjoy your accomplishment.

I know my legs are quite prone to DVT. They swell so big as if I have a pair of elephant legs every time I sit too long in 1 position at home (in front of the computer) or in the car (during long distance traveling). When my legs swell, I won't be able to feel my toes and I feel pain every time I move my legs.

This post is also a reminder for my self that every time my son cries for my attention, it is a break time for me. It is time for my legs to move and for my body to be refreshed. So, I should not feel irritated at all.

No comments: