Friday, September 17, 2010

Building a better communication with your children

In the past 2 weeks my husband and I really have a hard time talking and educating our son. We see that the older he is, the stronger his rejection towards anything we say and the more difficult to deal with his emotion. Instead of getting him to do like what we want him to do, we would end up fighting or arguing with him because we loose our temper and our coolness. 

We love our son very much and we want the best of everything for him. We want to raise him to be a better person than we are. But then, we were so clueless and hopeless. I always ended up crying at night because I just feel so bad if I have to scream at him all the time. I loose my voice and he will still not listen to me and even resist me stronger. 

As usual, when I am loosing my hope, God comes to the rescue. I received a small booklet today from my son's school about how parents can improve the communication with their children. The booklet uses the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish as the reference.

Oh thank you, God! This is exactly what I urgently need for I have completely lost my way to talk to my son. The booklet has every information I need and it is presented in funny pictures that makes it easy to relate to each situation I experience. The language is very simple too. The examples are real so I can understand easily how I would react the next time I am faced with the same situation. There is a practice section too in where I can fill in the blank with the right and proper word to say to make sure that my kids will listen to my words.

I am really grateful that I got that booklet today. That means I can start to learn to build better ways to communicate with my son before the anger and the emotion destroy everything. I think every parent should really know the way to properly communicate with their children so that they can have a wonderful relationship with their children all the time. For the children, they will have a very good memory about their parents because their parents have become their best friends too. I recommend to every parent to read How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. As parents, we need to have a clear guideline on how to win over our children. We have to initiate the good and proper way to talk and to listen so that our children can see and follow our path. This is important because just as James Baldwin said,
"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."

No comments: