Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Loan $25 to change lives through Kiva.org

I came across this story when I was browsing People of the web news and I want to let you all know about a cool non-profit organization that is doing great things: Kiva.org

Kiva.org allows individuals to make $25 loans to low-income entrepreneurs in the developing world (microfinance). By doing so, individuals like you provide affordable working capital for the poor (money to buy a sewing machine, livestock, etc.), empowering them to earn their way out of poverty.

It's a new, direct and sustainable way to fight global poverty, and the way I see it, I get a higher return on $25 helping someone build a future than the interest my checking account pays.

Anyways, if you have a minute, please check out the site: http://kiva.org. If you need more "reputable" validation than my recommendation :), know that they have received great press in publications ranging from The Wall Street Journal to NPR to BusinessWeek.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting idea -- but seems u don't earn any interest? so seems more like charity, would be interesting if you could earn some interest on the loan, as then the idea would be more self sustainable...

cool the way u can pick ur own business to lend too -- nice way to personalise things!

coffeeliqueur said...

I like the idea of keeping the transparency all the time. Something that is hard to implement in Indonesia..:)